Melina J fan forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Melina J fan forum

Come join us and chat about Melina J's latest news.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Links
Melina J official blog : https://www.melina-j.me

Cymellia official website : https://www.cymellia.me

Cymellia Dailymotion channel : https://www.dailymotion.com/cymellia-music

Cymellia VK page : https://www.vk.com/cymellia
Latest topics
» A bottle in the ocean, chapter 29
Question about dual boot Emptyby GreyPoodle Yesterday at 1:54 pm

» A bottle in the ocean, chapter 28
Question about dual boot Emptyby SweetPotato Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:04 am

» A bottle in the ocean, chapter 27
Question about dual boot Emptyby WoofyWoof Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:59 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Question about dual boot

Go down 
+3
CuriousMeow
SiropMangue
SiropPapaye
7 posters
AuthorMessage
SiropPapaye

SiropPapaye

Question about dual boot Empty
PostSubject: Question about dual boot   Question about dual boot EmptyFri Feb 07, 2020 7:07 am

A Meliner has posted about dual booting on the Linux Mint forum :

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=311640

This is so confusing, A LOT of Meliners were told that W10/Linux dual boot are not working anymore, but here the person answered that it is still possible.

Some have said it didn't work on their computer anymore, though ?
Back to top Go down
SiropMangue

SiropMangue

PostSubject: Re: Question about dual boot   Question about dual boot EmptyFri Feb 07, 2020 9:47 am

That's weird.

Do you think it's possible W10 has different versions in different countries ? And according to local laws, they would effectively lock a computer or not ???

There is no reason why computer people (of several countries) would lie or don't know what they're talking about, especially when their speech seem to be "just drop W10 and only install Linux".
Back to top Go down
CuriousMeow

CuriousMeow

PostSubject: Re: Question about dual boot   Question about dual boot EmptyFri Feb 07, 2020 10:19 am

Yeah... Do you actually want your dual boot to be W10 + Linux (instead of Linux A distro + Linux B distro), though ?

It's like, there are A LOT of horror stories and people complaining, like here : (edited : as a new user, I can't post links, well, you all just go google it, was something about October 10th 2018 update).

(That's a random post I've got from Google).

Those who didn't get their Linux partition destroyed were barely able to use W10, as their FORCED updates would just pop up all the damn time everyday all day long, take 40 minutes in and out (20mn to download or install + 20mn to "undo the crap" as it wasn't working apparently due to the dual boot).

It was on and on and on, until someone gave a quick fix in the sipweb (I'm not going to type it here, if their shills come by and figure we found a way, they going to make it void by next update).

Hoping that W10 forced update didn't mess or delete your Linux partition every single day/every time you had to boot on W10 is not a good feeling/thing. And that's what you'd be signing for....

Lots also complained about bugs that started on W10 after an update, bugs that then started to happen on the Linux OS as well. It's like, great...

Now I get some stuff FORCES people to use a w1nd0ws OS, but like, try to find another way. (Dude, "another way" can be using your parents/bf/neighbour/bestie 's computer when needed !!!)
Back to top Go down
BananaSyrup

PostSubject: Re: Question about dual boot   Question about dual boot EmptyFri Feb 07, 2020 11:13 am

confused
Back to top Go down
SiropMangue

SiropMangue

PostSubject: Re: Question about dual boot   Question about dual boot EmptySat Feb 08, 2020 12:58 pm

There's a new answer on that topic, it's more detailed.

Also there's a topic on Reddit (about install that won't go through) : https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxmint/comments/f0mwbn/having_some_dual_boot_installation_issues/
Back to top Go down
SiropMangue

SiropMangue

PostSubject: Re: Question about dual boot   Question about dual boot EmptySat Feb 08, 2020 1:01 pm

CuriousMeow wrote:
Yeah... Do you actually want your dual boot to be W10 + Linux (instead of Linux A distro + Linux B distro), though ?

It's like, there are A LOT of horror stories and people complaining, like here : (edited : as a new user, I can't post links, well, you all just go google it, was something about October 10th 2018 update).

(That's a random post I've got from Google).

Those who didn't get their Linux partition destroyed were barely able to use W10, as their FORCED updates would just pop up all the damn time everyday all day long, take 40 minutes in and out (20mn to download or install + 20mn to "undo the crap" as it wasn't working apparently due to the dual boot).

It was on and on and on, until someone gave a quick fix in the sipweb (I'm not going to type it here, if their shills come by and figure we found a way, they going to make it void by next update).

Hoping that W10 forced update didn't mess or delete your Linux partition every single day/every time you had to boot on W10 is not a good feeling/thing. And that's what you'd be signing for....

Lots also complained about bugs that started on W10 after an update, bugs that then started to happen on the Linux OS as well. It's like, great...

Now I get some stuff FORCES people to use a w1nd0ws OS, but like, try to find another way. (Dude, "another way" can be using your parents/bf/neighbour/bestie 's computer when needed !!!)

Yeah, I've read a bunch of topics, it seems to be such a hassle nowadays. The install alone is not as easy as it used to be (thanks to that secure boot crap). Also what you said : the forced updates from W10 seem to make everything (even more) unstable, either the updates do not go through at all but come back over and over again and waste your time or just mess stuff up.
It's like, you really gotta NEED it to want a dual boot nowadays. We're past the "since it's preinstalled Imma just keep it" days. 😐😒😒
Back to top Go down
LovelySummer

PostSubject: Re: Question about dual boot   Question about dual boot EmptySat Feb 08, 2020 1:40 pm

🤔🤔🤔
Back to top Go down
LemonSyrup

LemonSyrup

PostSubject: Re: Question about dual boot   Question about dual boot EmptySat Feb 08, 2020 1:52 pm

Well at least we know it's still possible, and that's good news for everybody who need to dual boot w10/Mint.
Back to top Go down
BubbleTree

BubbleTree

PostSubject: Re: Question about dual boot   Question about dual boot EmptySun Feb 09, 2020 4:03 am

Isn't Melina trying to get away from dual booting too ? Apparently her latest videos are edited on a software that runs on Linux (when she's been using a software that was W1nd0ws only till recently), I remember she said before that was one of the reasons she was still dual booting.
Back to top Go down
SiropMangue

SiropMangue

PostSubject: Re: Question about dual boot   Question about dual boot EmptySun Feb 09, 2020 5:02 am

BubbleTree wrote:
Isn't Melina trying to get away from dual booting too ? Apparently her latest videos are edited on a software that runs on Linux (when she's been using a software that was W1nd0ws only till recently), I remember she said before that was one of the reasons she was still dual booting.

She's probably like everybody else : obliged to use it against her will for some stuff.

She said "since I've spend €€€ on an editing software, I'm going to use it". Also her personal videos are a hobby, so... Guess she used it for long enough now, and she's moving onto another one, that can run on Linux. Although, weren't there something about her videos from her phone ? That made her keep on using the editing software that only runs on W ? She's going to get a new phone some day, so the problem will be solved anyway.

All the Cymellia related stuff are Linux only though. She doesn't make meow music, therefore she doesn't need to use meow softwares (which only run on W), therefore she doesn't need to worry about any of this. They don't use VST stuff either, on which MS seem to have an absolute monopoly, so they're good on that too. Same for animation, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about dual boot   Question about dual boot Empty

Back to top Go down

Question about dual boot
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Melina J fan forum :: General discussion :: Miscellaneous topics-
Jump to: